| Toph Beifong (Scenesys ID: -1)
| "People see me and think I'm weak. They want to take care of me, but I can take care of myself, by myself."
| Full Name:
|| Toph Beifong
|| Human (Earthbender)
|| (OFC) Avatar: The Last Airbender-2
|| Metalbending Police Chief
| Factional Information
|| Union (2-Lieutenant)
| Other Information
| Physical Age:
|| Actual Age:
| Still Aging?
|| Voice Actor:
| Hair Color:
|| Eye Color:
| Theme Song:
Born to the wealthy Beifong family, Toph has been blind from birth, sheltered by her parents for her perceived disability. She fled home on numerous occasions, in one instance learning earthbending from the badgermoles, creatures blind like her. Fiercely independent, she isn't one to mince words or care about appearances or behaviour, in direct opposition to her upbringing. She can be lazy, stubborn, and shockingly blunt, but "the Chief" means well in the end, and cares about the people she's working with, considering herself responsible for their lives. As Chief, she puts her prodigal earthbending to excellent use, and also relies on the new subdiscipline of metalbending to accomplish tasks at hand... or, sometimes, just to show off.
DEFINING, CLICK TO EXPAND
SIGNIFICANT, CLICK TO EXPAND
MINOR, CLICK TO EXPAND
DISADVANTAGES, CLICK TO EXPAND
- Toph is not very refined. She may have grown up in an aristocratic household, and she may genuinely mean well, but with events shaping her as they did, Toph chooses not to behave this way. She can come across as abrasive, blunt, rude, and incredibly unsensitive. Most of the time she knows when she's going too far, but she has no qualms about putting people in their place if they're starting to annoy her or behave... unwisely.
- Bending Limitations
- Though powerful, Toph isn't an omnipotent earthbender, no matter how much she might say otherwise. She has to have her chosen element close by to be able to work with it. If she has no means of connecting with the earth, or with metal, than she has no means by which to manipulate it. Separating her from earth or metal, such as suspending her in the air or throwing her in water, can make her bending useless.
- Toph was born blind, and to this day remains blind, able to function only through her ability to "see" via earthbending. She physically cannot see, and has no means by which to focus on things that may not be in contact with the earth. As a result, she cannot read and she cannot write, and she can be at risk against opponents who have no connection to solid ground.
- Toph is fiercely independent, and will often refuse offers of help or assistance until it's much too late. She's mellowed somewhat over the years, and she's gotten much better about this, but this quirk is still a stubborn cornerstone of her personality. Sometimes, it's easy for her to get in over her head, and for it to be far too late by the time she swallows her pride to ask for help.
- Metalbending is still a new technique, and it still has a few stumbling blocks. Since she concentrates on the impurities in metal to manipulate it, Toph has no way to bend heavily refined ores and naturally purified metals. Some, like platinum, can't be bent at all. It would be possible to shut Toph's bending abilities down by imprisoning her in something made of purified ore, or to use it against her somehow.
- For all that she is genuinely talented, Toph is somewhat overconfident in her abilities, and believes she's tough enough to take on any challenger. That's just not the way the Multiverse works, though, and her big mouth is entirely capable of getting Toph into trouble.
- Seismic Sense
- Since she perceives her world through vibrations in the earth, it is one of Toph's only ways to know what's going on. She must have contact with the ground through the soles of her feet, and in fact refuses to wear any kind of footwear for this reason. If her feet are burnt or otherwise compromised, she's effectively rendered completely blind. She also dislikes travelling through methods that remove her from the earth, such as flying on a sky bison, or travelling over water.
- Toph can't swim. If she happens to fall into water deep enough to submerge in, there is a fairly good chance that she'll drown... as long as nobody hears her screaming bloody murder about it, anyway.
CUTSCENES, CLICK TO EXPAND